SELECTED TRANSPORTATION MEASURES DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Compiled by BTS and updated weekly by Tuesday afternoon.
Data last updated 7/7/2020.
These selected measures are provisional indicators of transportation activity and have not been reviewed for representativeness or other aspects of statistical quality. Additional measures will be added as they become available.
- People Staying Home, Traveling, Trips by Distance: Baseline is the daily average of activity 1/1/2020-2/29/2020 (from the beginning of 2020 until COVID-19 travel restrictions were implemented). A trip is considered a movement that includes at least 1 stay of longer than 10 minutes at an anonymized location away from home. High and Low Points consider dates thus far in calendar year 2020. For more information, and to download the data or access the API, please visit our Daily Travel page.
- Commercial Flights: The baseline is the same week last year. The low point of 7,062 flights operated occurred on 4/25/2020.
- People Screened at Airports: The baseline is the same week last year. The low point of 88,000 passengers screened occurred on 4/14/2020.
- MTA: Data reported on a weekly basis from Saturday to Friday. These are adjusted numbers which are obtained by normalizing only the outliers using historical trends. This adjustment affected less than 0.7% of the data.
- WMATA: Data for 2020 is PRELIMINARY. Ridership is compared to the equivalent calendar day in 2019.
- BART: Ridership is compared to projected ridership, based on pre-pandemic BART budgeting, for the same period.
- People Staying Home, Traveling, Trips by Distance: The Maryland Transportation Institute (MTI) and the Center for Advanced Transportation Technology Laboratory (CATT Lab) at the University of Maryland, available for further viewing at https://data.covid.umd.edu/ and for download at https://data.bts.gov
- US Commercial Flights: Aviation System Performance Metrics (ASPM)
- People Screened: Transportation Security Administration (TSA, similar to https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput)
- Spot Market Rates for Dry Van Linehaul: DAT Freight & Analytics, available at https://www.dat.com/industry-trends/trendlines
- Weekly Rail Traffic: Association of American Railroads, available at https://www.aar.org/rail-traffic
- Border Crossings: Customs and Border Protection, personal communication, passenger vehicle traffic from Canada and Mexico to the U.S.
- Niagara Falls Border Crossings: Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, Traffic Statistics, Westbound Into Canada, available at https://niagarafallsbridges.com/index.php/services/traffic-statistics
- MTA: available at http://web.mta.info/developers/turnstile.html
- WMATA: available at https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/ridership-portal/index.cfm#other; FTA Weekly Ridership Report.
- BART: available at https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2020/news20200225
Updated: Wednesday, July 8, 2020