On a biennial basis, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) conducts a census of all ferry operators operating in the United States and its territories. The information collected from the census is maintained in a national ferry database containing information regarding ferry routes, vessels, passengers and vehicles carried, funding sources and other information. BTS conducted the initial NCFO in 2006 and has subsequently conducted the NCFO in 2008, 2010, 2014, and 2016. The data collection for the next NCFO will begin in the Spring of 2018.
- Figure 9: Vessel Propulsion Characterisitics (2015)
- Operator Segment
- Operator Segment - Revised (2/8/2018)
- Table 10: Route Segment Distance (2015)
- Table 11: Segment Distance by State (2015)
- Table 12: Route Segment Type and National Park Ferry Service by State (2015)
- Table 1: Passenger and Vehicle Boarding Counts by State (2015)