Table 11c. Hazardous Material Shipment Characteristics by Selected Commodities (1) for the United States: Percentage of Total for 2012 and 2007
(Estimates are based on data from the 2012 and 2007 Commodity Flow Surveys. Because of rounding, estimates may not be additive)
|SCTG code||Commodity description||Value||Tons||Ton-miles (2)|
|All commodities (3)||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0|
|17-R4||Gasoline, aviation turbine fuel, and ethanol (includes kerosene, and fuel alcohols)||49.6||45.8||48.2||43.0||31.7||21.2|
|18-R5||Fuel oils (includes diesel, Bunker C, and biodiesel)||30.2||25.8||32.6||28.8||19.1||16.8|
|19||Other coal and petroleum products, n.e.c.||5.4||9.2||6.5||11.1||11.5||18.4|
|23||Chemical products and preparations, n.e.c.||2.6||3.8||0.7||1.1||2.6||3.2|
(1) Commodity codes shown had the highest estimated weight without considering sampling variability. Since an “All other SCTG” line is not shown, estimates do not add to total.
(2) Ton-miles estimates are based on estimated distances traveled along a modeled transportation network. See “Mileage Calculations” section for additional information.
(3) Estimates exclude shipments of crude petroleum (SCTG 16).
(4) Prior to the 2012 CFS, fuel alcohols such as ethanol were included in Commodity Code 08, although not specifically identified. Also, kerosene was included in Commodity Code 19. In the 2012 CFS, ethanol, fuel alcohols and kerosene moved to Commodity Code 17.
(5) Prior to the 2012 CFS, biodiesel, although not specifically identified, was included in Commodity Code 07. In the 2012 CFS, biodiesel moved to Commodity Code 18.
NOTES: Value-of-shipments estimates have not been adjusted for price changes. Appendix B tables provide estimated measures of sampling variability. The Introduction and appendixes give information on confidentiality protection, sampling error, nonsampling error, sample design and definitions. Links to this information on the Internet may be found at <www.census.gov/econ/cfs>.
Percentages represent the proportion of hazardous materials by two-digit commodity code to total hazardous material shipments.
SOURCE: U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics and U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, 2012 Economic Census: Transportation Commodity Flow Survey, December 2014.