The 2020 National Census of Ferry Operators has been delayed until June 1st due to COVID-19
Please contact the NCFO Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to update your operation’s contact information prior to June 1st
The Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) conducts a biennial census of all ferry operators operating within the United States and its territories. The information collected from the census is maintained in a national ferry database containing information regarding ferry routes, vessels, passengers and vehicles carried, funding sources, and other information. BTS conducted the initial NCFO in 2006 and has subsequently conducted the NCFO in 2008, 2010, 2014, 2016, and 2018. The data collection for the next NCFO will begin on June 1, 2020.
- Operator - The Operator data table contains information about ferry operators and details about their operation.
- Operator Segment - The Operator Segment data table contains information related to route segments such as ferry operators who provide service, segment length, average trip time, passenger volume, and season start and end dates.
- Segment - The Segment data table contains information about each route segment such as the terminals it connects, the type geographic area it serves, and whether it serves a National Park Service location.
- Terminal - The Terminal data table contains information about ferry terminals, their location, and facilities.
- Vessel - The Vessel data table contains information about ferry vessels such as the passenger and/or vehicle capacity, speed, and fuel type.
- File layout for the data tables