Table B-5a. Estimated Measures of Reliability for Shipment Characteristics by Two-Digit Commodity for the United States: 2012
(Estimates are based on data from the 2012 Commodity Flow Survey)
|SCTG code||Commodity description||Value||Tons||Ton-miles (1)||
Average miles per shipment
coefficient of variation of number
|Coefficient of variation of number||Standard error of percent of total||Coefficient of variation of number||Standard error of percent of total||Coefficient of variation of number||Standard error of percent of total|
|All commodities (2)||1.1||0.0||1.8||0.0||3.7||0.0||3.4|
|01||Live animals and live fish||24.6||Z||24.7||Z||22.2||Z||19.2|
|02||Cereal grains (includes seed)||9.7||0.1||10.3||0.4||20.9||1.3||13.0|
|03||Agricultural products (excludes animal feed, cereal grains, and forage products||5.4||0.1||4.9||0.1||10.6||0.5||15.9|
|04||Animal feed, eggs, honey, and other products of animal origin||5.9||Z||6.5||0.1||6.1||0.2||18.0|
|05||Meat, poultry, fish, seafood, and their preparations||3.3||0.1||3.3||Z||4.1||0.1||8.8|
|06||Milled grain products and preparations and bakery products||5.2||0.1||6.8||0.1||9.6||0.2||25.3|
|07-R3||Other prepared foodstuffs and fats and oils||3.6||0.2||3.5||0.1||7.9||0.6||18.5|
|08-R4||Alcoholic beverages, and denatured alcohol||1.6||Z||2.9||Z||4.3||Z||20.3|
|10||Monumental or building stone||17.0||Z||11.3||Z||10.4||Z||11.7|
|12||Gravel and crushed stone (excludes dolomite and slate)||2.7||Z||2.9||0.4||6.5||0.3||7.7|
|13||Other nonmetallic minerals, n.e.c.||8.2||Z||8.4||0.1||6.4||0.1||17.9|
|14||Metallic ores and concentrates||9.5||Z||21.9||0.2||26.5||0.5||21.3|
|17-R5||Gasoline, aviation turbine fuel, and ethanol (includes kerosene, and fuel alcohols)||4.3||0.3||4.2||0.5||9.5||0.3||10.2|
|18-R6||Fuel oils (includes diesel, Bunker C, and biodiesel)||7.7||0.4||9.7||0.6||27.2||0.6||8.9|
|19||Other coal and petroleum products, n.e.c.||6.0||0.2||8.9||0.4||20.3||0.7||9.7|
|23||Chemical products and preparations, n.e.c.||6.5||0.2||6.7||0.1||5.5||0.1||4.6|
|24||Plastics and rubber||3.4||0.1||5.6||0.1||6.3||0.2||11.0|
|25||Logs and other wood in the rough||17.0||Z||25.1||0.1||20.2||Z||29.4|
|27||Pulp, newsprint, paper, and paperboard||3.2||Z||4.5||0.1||3.8||0.1||13.8|
|28||Paper or paperboard articles||2.5||Z||3.5||Z||3.6||Z||11.0|
|30||Textiles, leather, and articles of textiles or leather||8.8||0.3||8.0||Z||11.0||0.1||2.3|
|31||Nonmetallic mineral products||2.2||Z||3.5||0.3||2.5||0.2||8.0|
|32||Base metal in primary or semifinished forms and in finished basic shapes||2.2||0.1||3.1||0.1||2.8||0.2||6.0|
|33||Articles of base metal||2.5||0.1||3.1||Z||2.9||Z||4.4|
|35||Electronic and other electrical equipment and components and office equipment||3.4||0.3||3.8||Z||4.0||0.1||4.8|
|36||Motorized and other vehicles (including parts)||2.4||0.2||4.5||Z||7.9||0.1||8.9|
|37||Transportation equipment, n.e.c.||6.4||0.1||9.3||Z||11.6||Z||4.9|
|38||Precision instruments and apparatus||3.1||0.1||18.6||Z||8.7||Z||3.0|
|39||Furniture, mattresses and mattress supports, lamps, lighting fittings, and illuminated signs||10.8||0.1||12.1||Z||6.7||Z||7.8|
|40||Miscellaneous manufactured products||3.7||0.1||10.9||0.1||6.0||0.1||3.3|
|41||Waste and scrap||9.2||0.1||8.1||0.2||17.5||0.4||9.2|
KEY: Z = Rounds to zero.
(1) Ton-miles estimates are based on estimated distances traveled along a modeled transportation network. See “Mileage Calculations” section for additional information.
(2) Estimates exclude shipments of crude petroleum (SCTG 16).
(3) Prior to the 2012 CFS, oils and fats treated for use as biodiesel were included in Commodity Code 07. In the 2012 CFS, oils and fats treated for use as biodiesel moved to Commodity Code 18.
(4) Prior to the 2012 CFS, alcohols intended for use as fuel such as ethanol, although not specifically identified, were included in Commodity Code 08. In the 2012 CFS, ethanol moved to Commodity Code 17.
(5) Prior to the 2012 CFS, fuel alcohols such as ethanol were included in Commodity Code 08, although not specifically identified. Also, kerosene was included in Commodity Code 19. In the 2012 CFS, ethanol, fuel alcohols and kerosene moved to Commodity Code 17.
(6) Prior to the 2012 CFS, biodiesel, although not specifically identified, was included in Commodity Code 07. In the 2012 CFS, biodiesel moved to Commodity Code 18.
NOTES: The Introduction and appendixes give information on confidentiality protection, sampling error, nonsampling error, sample design and definitions. Links to this information on the Internet may be found at <www.census.gov/cfs>.
SOURCE: U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics and U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, 2012 Economic Census: Transportation Commodity Flow Survey, December 2014.