Scope of the Report
The report covers transportation-related financial activities of the federal, state and local governments, as well as government enterprises (e.g., public transit agencies, toll highways, parking lots, air terminals, etc) that finance most of their outlays by providing services to the public. The report focuses on the role of the government as transportation infrastructure system provider and its financial activities pertaining to this function. The financial activities of the government as user of the transportation system are not included except when these activities are directly relevant to its role as provider of the transportation infrastructure. The following broad categories of data are provided in this report:
- Federal revenues and expenditures by mode and program for FY 1985-2003.
- Federal grants to state and local governments by mode for FY 1985-2002.
- Federal budget authority and obligations by mode and program for FY 1985-2003.
- State government revenues and expenditures by mode for the fifty states for FY 1985-2002.
- Local government revenues and expenditures by mode for the fifty states and the District of Columbia for FY 1985-2001.