- BTS highlights aspects of railroad transportation in the Transportation Statistics Annual Report and publishes numerous tables covering highway transportation in National Transportation Statistics, State Transportation Statistics, and County Transportation Profiles.
- BTS publishes railroad network data in the National Transportation Atlas Database and related maps in the Map Gallery.
- Rail freight transportation is featured in Freight Facts and Figures, the Freight Analysis Framework (FAF), the Commodity Flow Survey, TransBorder Freight Data, and Border Crossing Data.
- BTS publishes Tank Car Data on the use of various types of railroad tank cars for transporting flammable materials and the anticipated replacement of older tank cars with new rolling stock that meets enhanced safety standards
- The Federal Railroad Administration publishes railroad safety data.
- The Surface Transportation Board produces carload waybill statistics on freight movement by rail.
- The National Transportation Library repository includes research reports, policy documents, and historical materials related to railroad transportation.