SELECTED TRANSPORTATION MEASURES DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC,
compiled by BTS and updated weekly by Tuesday afternoon.
data last updated 5/26/2020.
These selected measures are provisional indicators of transportation activity and have not been reviewed for representativeness or other aspects of statistical quality. Additional measures will be added as they become available.
- Vessels: Measured by freight vessels in select anchorages/pilotages.
- MTA: Data reported on a weekly basis from Saturday to Friday. These are adjusted numbers which are obtained by normalizing only the outliers using historical trends. This adjustment affected less than 0.7% of the data.
- WMATA: Data for 2020 is PRELIMINARY. Ridership is compared to the equivalent calendar day in 2019.
- BART: Ridership is compared to projected ridership, based on pre-pandemic BART budgeting, for the same period.
- US Commercial Flights: Aviation System Performance Metrics (ASPM)
- People Screened: Transportation Security Administration (TSA, similar to https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput)
- Spot Market Rates for Dry Van Linehaul: DAT Freight & Analytics, available at https://www.dat.com/industry-trends/trendlines
- Weekly Rail Traffic: Association of American Railroads, available at https://www.aar.org/rail-traffic
- Vessels: U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, calculated using daily Automatic Identification System (AIS) data provided by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Automatic Identification System Analysis Package (AISAP)
- Border Crossings: Customs and Border Protection, personal communication, passenger vehicle traffic from Canada and Mexico to the U.S.
- Niagara Falls Border Crossings: Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, Traffic Statistics, Westbound Into Canada, available at https://niagarafallsbridges.com/index.php/services/traffic-statistics
- MTA: available at http://web.mta.info/developers/turnstile.html
- WMATA: available at https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/ridership-portal/index.cfm#other; FTA Weekly Ridership Report.
- BART: available at https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2020/news20200225
Updated: Wednesday, May 27, 2020