July 2020 U.S. Airline Traffic Data
U.S. airlines carried 21.2 million systemwide (domestic and international) scheduled service passengers in July 2020, seasonally-adjusted, up 37.5% from June. BTS reported 20.3 million domestic passengers and 0.9 million international passengers on U.S. airlines flights in July.
|Passengers in millions (Seasonally adjusted)||1|
U.S. airline traffic reports are filed monthly with the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS). See the tables that accompany this release on the BTS website for summary data since 2016 (Tables 1-24) and complete data since 2000.
Two measures of U.S. airlines passenger enplanements
July seasonally adjusted
- System-wide enplanements (21.2M) were down 73.4% from the all-time high of 79.6 million reached in January 2020.
- Domestic enplanements (20.3M) were down 71% from the all-time high of 69.8 million reached in January 2020.
- International enplanements (0.91M) were down 90.7% from the all-time high of 9.81 million reached in January 2020.
Without seasonal adjustment, U.S. airlines carried 24.0 million systemwide (domestic and international) scheduled service passengers in July 2020, up 44.4% from June. For July, BTS reported 22.9 million domestic passengers, up 41.0% from June, and 1.12 million international passengers on U.S. airlines flights, up 181.5% from June.
- Systemwide enplanements (24.0M) were down 72.4% from the all-time July high (87.0) reached in 2019.
- Domestic enplanements (22.9M) were down 69.6% from the all-time July high (75.3) reached in 2019.
- International enplanements (1.12M) were down 90.4% from the all-time July high (11.7) reached in 2019.
Data are compiled from monthly reports filed with BTS by commercial U.S. air carriers detailing operations, passenger traffic and freight traffic. This release includes data received by BTS from 65 U.S. carriers as of Oct. 6 for U.S. carrier scheduled civilian operations.
BTS is withholding the scheduled release of estimated U.S. airlines’ traffic data for August and September because the estimates are statistical forecasts based on previous trends. The estimates do not account for the impact of the coronavirus. See August preliminary U.S. airline passenger numbers. [LINK2KUM]
See the BTS Airlines and Airports page for additional scheduled service numbers through July for U.S. airlines. International data by origin and destination is available through April.
BTS has scheduled Nov. 13 for the release of data through August.
None of the data are from samples. Measures of statistical significance do not apply to the complete air traffic data.